Feb 3, 2009

Eho-maki

Eho-maki [ e ho ma kee ]

in Japan, February 3rd is a day called Setsubun ( 節分:節 - section, 分:divide ) for beginning of Spring. our custom is to throw soybeans inside a house calling " fortune/happiness in " and outside a house " demon/evil out " ... in a way to purify or cleanse the energy of the house. ( find more on the link )

besides, throwing soybeans, another custom is to eat the rolled sushi called Eho-maki, which you might known as Futo-maki @ a Japanese restaurant ... but I believe Eho-maki is bigger and inside the Eho-maki has to be something to represent the Seven Lucky Gods ... somehow using, cooked squash ( kan pyo ) cucumber, omelet, BBQ eel, pink fish floss, cooked shiitake mushroom, ... those are the traditional ingredients inside the Eho-maki, but not sure the 7th one, some use salmon, or tuna, shrimp ... must be different in regions ...

and Eho ( 恵方)is a auspicious direction which differs each year ... this year seems to be east-north-east, and you would have to eat the Eho-maki facing east-north-east, without a rest or a word, you do not cut or slice the Eho-maki because which indicate you cut the luck ... and closing your eyes and wishing & envisioning your happiness & prosperity or whatever you wish to happen in the year.

more about Eho-maki, I found a link as a reference @ justhungry.com

here is the YouTube my partner introduced me ... in the video, a Japanese guy start eating Eho-maki in the middle of NYC, the people around him really don't know what is really going on with him ... being puzzled & disgusted ... but seems to be a happy ending :)




the Japanese guy says " in japan everybody do " ... in the middle of a city ??? nooooo ! I don't think so :) I don't think I can make Eho-maki here where I live so I am going to breath in Shasta air ... not futo-maki (fat-roll) or Eho maki (lucky direction roll) but maybe vortex :) to make my wishes for this year ...


wishing you all the happiness you wish will come to spring your hearts!




my japanese link : cocohole11.blogspot.com/
.

1 comment:

Khaled KEM said...

Eho-Maki..very interesting post..I like it and thanks for the information...I am glad that you are back blogging..I am really interested in the Japanese culture and would like to know more about it...

comment & ad : don't be shy :)

if you ever feel like leaving a comment on my blog, please, feel free to add your website as your signature if you have any. I would love if this space would also benefit you in anyway :)